Call for Enrolment
Into Second Cycle Master Study Programmes of the University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts in the Academic Year 2017/2018
Call for enrolment
The University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts invites candidates to apply to the second cycle master degree programmes in the academic year 2017/18.
The Call for enrolment includes general information, as well as programme specific information on the entry requirements, and relevant contacts for further inquiries at specific programme.
The listed programmes contain the following data: the name and the duration of the programme, access requirements, and possible limitations of the call (minimum number of the candidates to run the programme in the academic year 2017/18). Some programmes have additional access requirements. Therefore it is of utmost importance that the call includes this and other important information as well.
Slovene citizens and EU nationals may apply for MA programmes with a fixed number of available places specified in the table below for full-time and part-time studies separately. Non-EU nationals may also apply for these places if they or one of their parents or guardians is a tax resident of the Republic of Slovenia with permanent residence in Slovenia at the time of the application.
Non-EU nationals and Slovenes not holding Slovene citizenship may apply for places specified in separate cells.
Candidates applying for master study programmes should give evidence of bachelor (first cycle) diploma or equivalent or higher according to the Higher Education Act, and also evidence of fulfilling other access and admission criteria, according to respectful master study programme.
In case of limited access, the applications will be assessed against selection criteria specific to the course of study (study programme) for which candidate have applied.
If the candidate's qualifications do not meet the general entry requirements for direct entry, the candidate will be requested to provide additional proof of competences. Such additional requirements should be fulfilled before registration to the programme.
These exams corresponding to between 10 and 60 ECTS credits shall be laid down on the basis of discrepancies between the fields of expertise. Candidates must pass these exams prior to enrolment.
Candidates are advised to request information on additional exams from department offices of the Faculty of Arts as soon as possible. Candidates should also give evidence of bachelor diploma and transcript of records or, if the bachelor study is not finished yet, the curriculum or other proof of the bachelor study programme. Department offices will provide detailed information on additional exams. Fees for additional exams must be paid in accordance with the Price list of the Faculty of Arts.
Such additional requirements must be fulfilled before registration to the programme.
Transfer between programmes means the cessation of studies under one programme and the continuation of studies under another programme.
In accordance with the transfer criteria, students may transfer to the same or a subsequent year (but not to the first year of study) of another MA programme, provided the first programme leads to the acquisition of comparable competencies, and provided that at least half of obligations under the former programme relating to compulsory subjects of the new programme can be recognized. The student may enrol in a higher study year of another programme under the condition that the required amount of those credit points, necessary to proceed to a higher year of the state-approved study programme, are recognised during the transfer process.
Information day for MA study programmes of the Faculty of Arts for academic year 2017/18 will take place on 5 June 2017 between 10.00 AM and 16.00 PM.
Candidates will receive detailed information concerning study programmes, courses, admission requirements.
- In the first application period, Slovene citizens and EU nationals must submit their application for enrolment into second cycle study programmes, and send the application form with all relevant supplemental documents until 1 September 2017 (application deadline: 31 August 2017) ;
- In the first application period, Non-EU nationals and Slovenes not holding Slovene citizenship must submit their application for enrolment into second cycle study programmes, and send the application form with all relevant supplemental documents until 21 July 2017 (application deadline: 20 July 2017);
- In the second application period (candidates may apply only for those programmes where there are still vacant places, which have not been filled in the first application period) candidates must submit their application for enrolment into second cycle study programmes, and send the application form with all relevant supplemental documents until 21 September 2017 (application deadline: 20 September 2017);
- On study programmes where there is greater demand than there are places available, the selection procedure will be made on 19 September 2017; candidates must submit proof of their bachelor or other degree until 18 September 2017.
- For the programme History of Southeastern Europe - joint degree, you must also apply to the University of Graz; the application deadline is 15 May 2017 (https://international.uni-graz.at/en/stud/int-focus/jointdegrees/).
For any support in filling in the application form, please contact:
Enotni kontaktni center državne uprave (EKC)
T: +386 1 478 85 90 (from 8.00 AM until 10.00 PM during weekdays).
Application form with all relevant supplemental documents should be send by post to:
Faculty of Arts
Office of Masters Studies
SI – 1000 Ljubljana
All candidates wishing to enrol in master study programmes of the Faculty of Arts may apply irrespective of whether they have earned their graduate degree at the time of application. A graduate degree is not a requirement for the submission of an application. However, it is a requirement for enrolment in master study programmes. Candidates are advised to submit an application if they reasonably expect to obtain their graduate degree by the application deadline.
Each candidate may submit a maximum of 1 application and maximum of 3 wishes/priorities for study at the Faculty of Arts.
1. Copy of all acquired degree certificates.
2. Copy of Diploma Supplement or official Transcript of Records.
3. Only for Creole programme:
- Common enrolment form for the programme CREOLE (http://creole.univie.ac.at/?q=node/14).
- Short biography (half a page).
- Confirmation of the proficiency in English or a proof of previous study programme in English.
- A letter of recommendation by a mentor from previous study programme.
- Draft of the study plan (Preferences for the Creole pillars and elective courses; plan of field research).
- Motivation letter.
4. Only for enrolment via transfer between study programmes: Official Transcript of Records of the currently enroled study programme.
5. Only for parallel study: Consent for parallel study from main HE Institution
Submission of the enrolment application: WEB PORTAL eVŠ
Students may be allowed to take up parallel studies under two or more programmes.
The number of available places for parallel study is limited.
According to law, candidates, holders of foreign qualifications (certificates obtained outside of the Republic of Slovenia), who wish to enrol in master study programmes of the Faculty of Arts, must obtain the Decision on recognition of foreign education for the purpose of further education. The process begins with submitting the application for enrolment to study on the eVŠ application web portal. Instructions are also available on the website of the University of Ljubljana.
The Decision on the recognition that has been obtained in the process for the purpose of employment, does not replace the above-mentioned decision. For the purpose of further education, the candidate must (irrespective of the decision that has already been obtained in the process for the purpose of employment) obtain a decision on the recognition of education obtained abroad for the purpose of education.
Qualifications from the former Yugoslav republics (issued before 25 June 1991) are not considered foreign qualifications. International Baccalaureate diploma is not considered a foreign qualification.
Candidates with foreign qualifications are considered to have applied for recognition of their entry qualifications with the application form with which they have applied for study.
- Original or the duplicate of the final certificate(s), representing general requirement for access to higher education in the country of issue, legalised on the basis of:
- The 1961 Hague Convention (at the court with territorial jurisdiction where the certificate or diploma has been issued); with properly filled in apostille form affixed or
- The Authentication of Documents in International Traffic Act.
Countries for which no legalization is required:
- Bosnia and Herzegovina,
- Cyprus (for documents issued by public higher education institutions and universities),
- Czech republic,
- Republic of Macedonia,
- Photocopy of the original certificate(s) referred to in No 1.
- Certified Slovene or English translation of the certificate(s) referred to in No 1 (not necessary for certificate(s) in Croatian, Bosnian, Montenegrin, and Serbian - if issued in Latin alphabet).
- Annual report cards, transcripts, a diploma supplement or some other evidence on the contents and duration of education.
- Certified Slovene or English translation of the certificate(s) referred to in No 4 (not necessary for certificate(s) in Croatian, Bosnian, Montenegrin, Serbian - if issued in Latin alphabet).
- Short chronological description of the entire education (statement by the applicant).
Further information: Ms. Živa Banfi
Phone: +386 1 241 1042
Enrolment into second cycle study programmes will start on 21 August 2017 and will be carried out at the latest until 30 September 2017, for justifiable reasons and with a written application and decided by the appropriate faculty body, the latest until 30 October 2017.
Requirements to enrol into higher (second) study year
To meet the requirements for progression from the 1st to the 2nd year, the student must fulfil 90 % of the obligations prescribed by the curriculum and the individual course syllabuses for the 1st year to a total value of 54 out of 60 ECTS credits.
In exceptional cases (decided by the Statute of the University of Ljubljana), students may also submit a request for enrolment in the higher year if they have fulfilled 85 % of study obligations, i.e. 51 ECTS credits. The Decision is taken by the appropriate faculty body according to student’s request.
Re-enrolment in the same (first) study year
Student, who failed to fulfil all the study obligations for entry in a second year, as defined by the study programme, has the option of repeating the year once during his or her study, if he or she fulfils the conditions for repetition as defined by the study programme.
Students who have used the re-enrolment in the 2012-2013 academic year and subsequent years cannot enrol in an additional year (the so-called extra year).
The second year of study cannot be repeated.
Preparing the enrolment sheets
Department office checks if students met the requirements for progression to second study year and prepare the enrolment sheet for the same or for the second study year. Enrolment sheets for extra study year will be prepared by Office of Masters Studies for all student who met the requirement.
Instructions on uploading photos for a student card (only for students enroling for the first time)
On enrolment sheet please mark if you agree (or not) with publishing your personal photo on student identity card (it applies exclusively for students enroling for the first time). If you choose NO you will still receive a student ID (but without your photo). If you choose YES you should upload you photo by yourself. Your photo must be in jpg file format, photo dimensions must be at least 400 x 503 pixels. We suggest that you prepare your photo before starting the enrolment procedure. If you choose YES you are obliged to upload you photo immediately after filling in all relevant data on the enrolment sheet. In case of longer inactivity the data will be lost and you will have to repeat the whole enrolment procedure from the beginning.
The tuition fee is charged to part-time students, the students, who have already completed education on the same level as second cycle studies, and to students of the third countries, with which there is no agreement concluded between the countries, on omitting the fees.
Tuition fee for academic year is 3,000.00 EUR. Students can pay in one or two instalments.
The studies of full-time students enroled in second cycle study programmes are financed from the public budget, therefore students do not pay tuition fees (this applies to citizens of the Republic of Slovenia or European Union Member States and citizens of the Republics of Macedonia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Kosovo and Montenegro).
Admission fee (for all students) for academic year can vary among academic years.
The fees are published in the Faculty price list.
Students who are enroled or will be enroled in study programmes which contain external elective courses, can choose them from the list of courses offered by other second cycle study programmes among the Faculty of Arts (if they are not already a part of their obligatory curriculum or if student did not choose them yet). Students can also select courses from other faculties or universities in Slovenia or abroad. Only courses from second cycle study programmes can be selected.
- List of elective courses on Faculty of Arts for academic year 2016/2017
- List of elective courses on Faculty of Social Science for academic year 2016/2017
Students select the elective courses on the Faculty of Arts or on the Faculty of Social Sciences during enrolment procedure from the listed courses.
For enrolment of elective courses on all other faculties/universities students need to fill out a form (“Selection of courses on other higher education institutions for students of the Faculty of Arts”) and till no later than 7 October 2016 bring it to department´s office, where the selected subjects will be entered in student’s e-index. During enrolment procedure student should choose “AA-Elective course on another faculty” to a certain extent of ECTS credits, which will be later replaced with certain course.
Students may replace elective courses unitil:
- no later than 30 October in the current academic year, if the subject is carried out in the first semester and
- no later than thirty days after the beginning of the second semester if the subject is carried out in the second semester
provided that there are still vacant places left on the subject.
Elective courses offered by the Faculty of Arts can also be choosen by students of second cycle programmes from other higher education institutions. In order to get information on vacant places on a certain course, contact the department`s office which offers the elective course and at the same time submit the form for review.
Department`s office will forward the completed form to the Office of Masters Studies, where it will be stamped and forwarded to your home faculty.
- Selection of courses on other higher education institutions for students of the Faculty of Arts
- Selection of courses on the Faculty of Arts for students of other higher education institutions
Students have the right to conduct exams on study programmes in which they are registered. Other subjects outside the registered study programme (comprising 60 ECTS), can be passed by students only on the basis of positively solved requests. Visiting organized forms of work and the performance of the obligations of the course is payable in accordance with the Price list (item: “izvedba predmeta”).