Selection of external elective courses for students of Faculty of Arts
Students of Faculty of Arts, who are enrolled or are enrolling in programmes that require the selection of external elective courses, can select them from the offer of the first-cycle study programmes of the Faculty of Arts (if they are not already part of their compulsory curriculum or if the student hasn't selected them yet) or other faculties of the University of Ljubljana or other national or international universities.
External elective courses, selected by undergraduate students, have to be accredited on first-cycle undergraduate study programmes (students are not allowed to choose courses of the second-cycle programmes).
Before selecting an individual external elective course, students always have to check if they are eligible to take a selected course, following the comments stated in the table.
The Faculty of Arts offers a diverse selection of elective courses. Students also have the ability to select electives offered by other faculties (Faculty of Social Sciences, Academy of Music and Academy of Theatre, Radio, Film and Television, with whom Faculty of Arts has a signed a mutual agreement).
The offer of elective courses of Faculty of Arts faculties for current year are only available in Slovene on the Slovene website.
Students do not need to fill in any form if they select elective courses at Faculty of Social Sciences, Academy of Music and Academy of Theatre, Radio, Film and Television. They can select their courses when they fill out the electronic enrolment sheet.
If students wish to choose an external elective course at other higher education institutions with which Faculty of Arts does not have an agreement with, students have to - upon completing the electronic enrolment sheet - select AA external elective course with the relevant number of credit points. At the same time, students have to fill in a form (application for enrolling an external elective course - first-cycle), that is available on the slovene website,for selecting an external elective course on other higher education institution and submit it (filled in fully and stamped by the responsible person of the other higher education institution) to the department office where they are enrolled by October 15 at the latest. The department office will enter the selected external elective course into the student's electronic index.
Selecting external elective course at the Faculty of Arts for students of other higher education institutions
Elective courses that are offered by the Faculty of Arts can be chosen by students of other higher educational institutions. Students however should consult the office of the department, that offers the elective course and check whether there are free places on a certain elective course. If there are free places for the selected elective course, office of the department confirms the form, enlists the student and the couse in student information system VIS (as a citizen) and submits the form to the Administrative Office for Undergraduate Programmes (First-Cycle). The form is stamped and sent to the student's faculty. External electives can be selected until October 15.
Change of internal or external elective course for students of the Faculty of Arts
Students (first time enrolled or re-enrolled) may once replace the internal and once external elective course in the year in which they are enrolled at their department office, namely:
- until October 15 of the current academic year, regardless of when the course is being implemented, if the subject is available in the list of elective subjects of the appropriate degree, if there are still free places in the newly selected course and if the implementation of this course allows it;
- within fifteen days of the beginning of the summer semester, if the new course is implemented during the summer semester (regardless of the time implementation of the course he/she is abandoning), if the course is in the optional elective course list of the appropriate degree, if there are still free places in the newly selected course and if the implementation of this course allows it.
After the expiry of the deadlines from the previous paragraph, students must submit a request for replacement of an external elective course, if the following conditions are fulfilled:
1) The course lecturer allows it,
2) If the course is in the optional elective course list and if there are still free places in the newly selected course,
3) There are justified reasons for the replacement.
In the request for change of an external elective course, students must explain the justified reasons referred to number 3 of the previous paragraph and attach evidence of their existence. Justified reasons are subsequently changed circumstances to which the student was unable to influence (e.g., a subsequent change of schedule affecting attendance at the core programme, non-execution of the course), the student's longer absence (eg due to study exchange, prolonged illness, parenting), etc.
After the expiry of the deadlines referred to in the first paragraph, students must submit a request for the replacement of the internal elective course. The replacement of the internal elective course is possible only if the department gives its consent.
Request for replacement of (internal or external) elective courses may also be submitted by full-time students, non-status students and students with extended status, who wish to replace internal or external elective courses from previous academic years. In this case, the provisions of paragraphs 2, 3 and 4 shall apply to the assessment of the eligibility for the replacement of an internal or external elective.
The request for replacement of (internal or external) elective courses should be submitted as described in the tab “Guidelines” “Student Request Submission”.
Students with special status are students who demonstrate significant achievements in sports, art and culture, student parents and students with special needs. Below you will find useful information on the acquisition and the different types of statuses, supporting persons, trainings, etc.
Students who wish to claim a special status (special status for student with special needs, status of student athlete, status of student-recognized artist, status of student-parent) and the resulting adjustments of the study process should submit request for recognition of special status. The request should be submitted as described in the tab “Guidelines” “Student Request Submission”.
The request must be accompanied by appropriate supporting documents.
The recognition of the status and the associated adjustments to the study process are further regulated in the Criteria for Resolving Student Requests for the first and second-cycle studies (Merila za reševanje študentskih prošenj na študiju prve in druge stopnje).
The student may submit the following requests:
- Recognition of special status,
- Change of the study programme or course of study,
- Transition from part-time to full-time study and vice versa,
- Recognition of the obligations undertaken in other study programmes and informal learning,
- Faster progress,
- Continuation or completion of studies after interruption of more than two years,
- Deregistration from an exam after the deadline set for the deregistration has passed,
- Fifth attempt at exam,
- Change of the elective courses,
- Taking additional courses outside the enrolled study programme,
- Extension of status for justified reasons,
- Progression to higher year with missing credits points,
- Writing the final thesis in a foreign language,
- Request for temporary unavailability of the contents of the written final thesis,
- Change in the form of payment or a possible reduction of costs of pending financial obligations.
Requests shall be handled in accordance with Criteria for Resolving Student Requests for the first and second-cycle studies (Merila za reševanje študentskih prošenj na študiju prve in druge stopnje).
More information on submitting requests and deadlines for submitting the requests are available here.
Transfer between study programmes is enrolment in the second or higher year of higher education study programmes, by terminating the education in the first study program and continuation of study in the second study programme of the same degree, or by enrolment of a higher education graduate in the new study programme at the same level.
Transfers are possible between study programmes:
- Which ensure the acquisition of comparable competences or learning outcomes at the conclusion of the studies;
- In which at least half of the obligations from the ECTS of the first study programme, which relate to the compulsory subjects in the second study programme, can be acknowledged.
Considering the scope of recognised obligations from the first study programme, student may enrol in the same or higher year of the second study programme. Enrolment into the initial year is not considered as transfer between study programmes.
Transfer between study programmes will be considered in accordance with the Criteria for transferring between study programmes (Merila za prehode med študijskimi programi).
Students have the right to enrol and receive education under the same conditions determined by the Higher Education Act, the Statute of the University of Ljubljana and the study programme. In doing so:
- if they are regularly progressing through their programme they can complete their study under the conditions applicable at the time of enrolment,
- they may, during the course of their studies, repeat the year or change the study programme or course of study due to failure of fulfilling the obligations in the previous course of study or study programme,
- they may be educated in several study programmes (parallel study), by interdisciplinary or by individual study programmes carried out by one or more higher education institutions,
- they are able to advance and complete their studies in a shorter time than envisaged by the study programme.
In accordance with the second indent of the previous paragraph, a student may, at the time of the study, change the study programme or course without payment of tuition fee. At the second or subsequent change of the programme or course, a full-time student must also pay tuition. In this case, student does not have the right to enrol in the additional year; his/her student status is terminated at the end of the last semester, except in case of changing the study programme due to the expiration of its accreditation.
Change of the study programme means:
1) Omission of study at a certain study programme and beginning of education at a new study programme. In this case, students apply for a position on the new study programme under the same conditions as all new applicants. According to the call for enrolment, they must apply with their first or second application through the eVŠ portal.
2) Replacement of a dual-subject study programme for a single-subject study programme in the same field of expertise (example: replacement of a dual-subject study programme Philosophy - Sociology for a single-subject study programme Philosophy), in which there are two ways:
- Enrolment in the first year of a single-subject study programme in the same field of expertise (changing the study programme). Students must apply for the call for enrolment through the eVŠ portal within the appropriate deadline;
- By enrolment in the higher year (enrolment according to Criteria for transferring between study programmes). Enrolment in the higher year is possible only in the case of a previously approved request for the completion of additional subjects outside the enrolled programme and if the conditions for enrolment in the senior year of the single-subject study programme are fulfilled.
If students qualify for enrolment to the higher year, they must apply for enrolment in the next year (according to the transition criteria) through the eVŠ portal. In case students do not meet the requirements for enrolment to the higher year of the single-subject study programme, the previous indent applies.
3) Replacement of one of the two dual-subject study programmes, which is possible by enrolment in the first year of the following academic year in both study programmes (example: replacement of the dual-subject study programme Philosophy - Sociology for the dual-subject study programme Philosophy - History).
In order to change study programme referred to in nr.3 students must submit an appropriate application (Application for study program change) in the VIS. Change is possible by re-enrolment in the first year. In case of the restricted enrolment in the new study programme that year, applicants must score at least as many points as the last admitted to the list of the admitted newcomers. In order to calculate the points required for the enrolment to the desired study programme, it is necessary to enclose certified copies of the 3rd and 4th year certificates and the completion of high school (certificate of final examination, graduation certificate or notification of success at vocational graduation and in this case proof of completion of the fifth course of general graduation). The deadline for submission of applications is from June 1 to July 31.
Instructions for request submission are available in the tab “Guidance” “Student request submission”.
Guidelines for submission a final thesis for content similarity detecting are available only in Slovene language on the Slovene website.
The following student’s achievements during the study period may be included in the Diploma Supplement:
- official study exchanges and work placements (ERASMUS, CEEPUS …),
- University Prešeren award,
- Faculty Prešeren award,
- participation in the University of Ljubljana´s bodies (president of the Študentski svet UL, vice-president of the Študentski svet UL, member of the Študentski svet UL, secretary of the Študentski svet UL, student senator, position in the committees and working groups of the Senate UL and Študentski svet UL, student representative in the Administrative Board UL),
- participation in the University member´s (faculty) bodies (president of the Študentski svet, vice-president of the Študentski svet, secretary of the Študentski svet, member of the Študentski svet, student senator, position in the committees and working groups, member of the Administrative Board/Student Associate Dean),
- student tutor, coordinator for tutors-students, demonstrator.
Students decide voluntarily if they wish to add their achievements to the Diploma Supplement, however they have to provide all relevant supporting documents/certificates. The application for adding other student achievements during the study period to the Diploma Supplement with attached supporting documents/certificates should be sent to the Administrative Office for Undergraduate Programmes (First-Cycle). Students enrolled in the first-cycle study programmes have to submit the application before the last obligation of their study programme has been finished. Applications and supporting documents/certificates that will be sent later will not be considered.
If a student has lost the student ID card or it has been stolen, he/she must apply for a new card from the Administrative Office for Undergraduate Programmes (First-Cycle).
To obtain a duplicate or a new student ID card students have to send the application for issuing a new student ID card to the Administrative Office for Undergraduate Programmes (First-Cycle). A new student ID card must be paid in accordance with the price list of the faculty.
Students can withdraw from the Faculty of Art in person at the Administrative Office for Undergraduate Programmes (First-Cycle) during office hours or they can send documentation by mail. For withdrawal, student must complete and sign an application for withdrawal and submit it together with the student ID card in the Administrative Office for Undergraduate Programmes (First-Cycle), either in person or by mail.
In case of prolonged absence of a student, the application can be also submitted by the authorized person. There is no need to authenticate the authorization.
Health Centre for Students of the University of Ljubljana, as an authorized health care institution, carries out preventive systematic medical check- ups and other health education activities and provides comprehensive health care for the needs of the student population. The students can also choose personal doctors, dentists in a gynaecologist in systematic medical check- ups.
Students are informed about term systematic examinations via the website, bulling box of the administrative offices of the faculty and via email.