Selecting external elective course for students of Faculty of Arts
Students of Faculty of Arts who are enrolled or are enrolling in programmes that require the selection of external elective courses can select them from the offer of the second-cycle study programmes of the Faculty of Arts (if they are not already part of their compulsory curriculum or if student hasn't selected them yet) or other faculties of the University of Ljubljana or other national or international universities. In exceptional cases, students enrolled in second-cycle study programmes may select external electives from the offer of first-cycle study programmes, but only with the approval of the department, if they have not yet completed the selected elective course on the first-cycle programme. The list of elective courses and their contents is published on the faculty website.
Before selecting an individual external elective course, students always have to check if they are eligible to take a selected course and they should follow the comments stated in the table.
The Faculty of Arts offers a diverse selection of elective courses. Students also have the ability to select electives offered by other faculties (Faculty of Social Sciences, Academy of Music and Academy of Theatre, Radio, Film and Television, with whom Faculty of Arts has a signed a mutual agreement).
The offer of elective courses of Faculty of Arts and other faculties for current year are only available in Slovene on the Slovene website.
Students do not need to fill in any form if they select elective courses at Faculty of Social Sciences, Academy of Music and Academy of Theatre, Radio, Film and Television. They can select their courses when they fill out the electronic enrolment sheet.
If students wish to select or enrol in an external elective course at other higher education institutions with which Faculty of Arts does not have a concluded agreement, students have to, upon completing the electronic enrolment sheet, select AA external elective course with the relevant number of credit points, upon completing the electronic enrolment sheet. At the same time, students have to fill form (application for enrolling an external elective course - Second-cycle, that is available on the Slovene website, for selecting an external elective course on other higher education institution and submit it (filled in fully and stamped by the responsible person of the other higher education institution) to the department office where they are enrolled by October 15 at the latest. The department office will enter the selected external elective course into the student's electronic index. If students have selected an external elective course from the offer of first-cycle study programmes, the department office checks (in collaboration with the Office for Master Studies if the student has been previously enrolled in another study programme) that students haven't yet completed this course in the first-cycle study programme, before it enters the selected course in student's electronic index.
Students enrolled in second-cycle study programmes of the Department of Ethnology and Cultural Anthropology may take external elective courses from the offer of first-cycle study programmes only if the Head of Department approves their request (Decision of the Department of Ethnology and Cultural Anthropology Council session, June 18, 2019).
Replacement of internal or external elective course for students of Faculty of Arts
Students (first time or re-enrolled) may once replace the internal and external elective course in the year in which they are enrolled at their department office, namely:
• by October 15 of the current academic year, irrespective of when the course is being implemented, if the subject is in the list of elective subjects of the appropriate degree, if there are still free places in the newly selected course and if the implementation of this course allows it;
• within fifteen days of the beginning of the summer semester, if the new course is implemented during the summer semester (regardless of the time implementation of the course he/she is abandoning), if the course is in the optional elective course list of the appropriate degree, if there are still free places in the newly selected course and if the implementation of this course allows it.
After the expiry of the deadlines from the previous paragraph, students must submit a request for replacement of an external elective course, if the following conditions are fulfilled:
1) The course lecturer allows it,
2) If the course is in the optional elective course list and if there are free places in the newly selected course,
3) There are justified reasons for the replacement.
In the request for replacement of external elective course, students must explain justified reasons referred to number 3 of the previous paragraph and attach proof of it. Justified reasons are changed circumstances over which the student had no influence (e.g., a change of schedule affecting attendance at the core programme, non-execution of the course), the student's longer absence (e.g. due to study exchange, prolonged illness, parenting), etc.
After the expiry of the deadlines referred to in the first paragraph, students must submit a request for the replacement of the internal elective course. The replacement of the internal elective course is possible only if the department gives their consent.
Request for replacement of internal or external elective course may also be submitted by full-time students, students without status and students with extended status, who wish to replace internal or external elective courses from previous academic years. In this case, the provisions of paragraphs 2, 3 and 4 apply to the assessment of the eligibility for the replacement of an internal or external elective.
The procedure of submitting a request are specified in the tab “Guidance” “Student request submission”
Students with special status are students who demonstrate significant achievements in sports, art and culture, student-parents and students with special needs. Below you will find useful information on the acquisition and the different types of statuses, supporting persons, trainings, etc.
Students who wish to claim a special status (special status for student with special needs, status of student athlete, status of student-recognized artist, status of student-parent) and the resulting adjustments of the study process should submit an appropriate request. The request should be submitted as described in tab “Guidance” “student request submission.”
The application must be accompanied by appropriate supporting documents.
The recognition of the status and the associated adjustments of the study process are further regulated in Criteria for Resolving Student Requests for the first and second-cycle studies (Merila za reševanje študentskih prošenj na študiju prve in druge stopnje).
The student may submit the following requests:
- Recognition of special status,
- Change of the study programme or course of study,
- Transition from part-time to full-time study and vice versa,
- Recognition of the obligations undertaken in other study programmes and informal learning,
- Faster progress,
- Continuation or completion of studies after interruption of more than two years,
- Deregistration from an exam after the deadline set for the deregistration has passed,
- Fifth attempt at exam,
- Change of the elective courses,
- Taking additional courses outside the enrolled study programme,
- Extension of status for justified reasons,
- Progression to higher year with missing credits points,
- Writing the final thesis in a foreign language,
- Request for temporary unavailability of the contents of the written final thesis,
- Change in the form of payment or a possible reduction of costs of pending financial obligations.
Requests shall be handled in accordance with Criteria for Resolving Student Requests for the first and second-cycle studies (Merila za reševanje študentskih prošenj na študiju prve in druge stopnje).
More information on submitting requests and deadlines for submitting the requests are available here.
Transfer between study programmes is enrolment in the second or higher year of higher education study programmes, by terminating the education in the first study programme and continuation of study in the second study programme of the same degree, or by enrolment of a higher education graduate in the new study programme at the same level;
Transfers are possible between study programmes:
- Which ensure the acquisition of comparable competences or learning outcomes at the conclusion of the studies;
- In which at least half of the obligations from the ECTS of the first study programme, which relate to the compulsory subjects in the second study programme, can be recognised.
Considering the scope of recognised obligations from the first study programme, student may enrol in the same or higher year of the second study programme. Enrolment into the initial year is not considered as transfer between study programmes.
Transfer between study programmes will be considered in accordance with the Criteria for transferring between study programmes (Merila za prehode med študijskimi programi).
Students have the right to enrol and receive education under the same conditions determined by the Higher Education Act, Statute of the University of Ljubljana and the study programme. In doing so:
- if they are regularly progressing through their programme they can complete their study under the conditions applicable at the time of enrolment,
- they may, during the course of their studies, repeat the year or change the study programme or course of study due to failure of fulfilling the obligations in the previous course of study or study programme,
- they may be educated in several study programmes (parallel study), by interdisciplinary or by individual study programmes carried out by one or more higher education institutions,
- they are able to advance and complete their studies in a shorter time than envisaged by the study programme.
In accordance with the second indent of the previous paragraph, a student may, at the time of the study, change the study programme or course without payment of tuition fee. At the second or subsequent change of the programme or course, a full-time student must also pay tuition. In this case, student does not have the right to enrol in the additional year; his/her student status is terminated at the end of the last semester, except in case of changing the study programme due to the expiration of its accreditation.
Change of the study programme means:
1) Omission of study at a certain study programme and beginning of education at a new study programme.
2) Replacement of a dual-subject study programme for a single-subject study programme in the same field of expertise (example: replacement of a dual-subject study programme Philosophy - Sociology for a single-subject study programme Philosophy), in which there are two ways:
- Enrolment in the first year of a single-subject study programme in the same field of expertise (changing the study programme);
- By enrolment in the second year (enrolment according to the Criteria for transferring between study programmes). Enrolment in the second year is possible only in the case of a previously approved request for the completion of additional subjects outside the enrolled programme and if the conditions for enrolment in the senior year of the single-subject study programme are fulfilled.
3) Replacement of one of the two dual-subject study programmes, which is possible by enrolment in the first year of the following academic year in both study programmes (example: replacement of the dual-subject study programme Philosophy - Sociology for the dual-subject study programme Philosophy - History).
In order to change the course of study, the student must submit a request. More information in the tab “Guidance” “Student Request Submission.”
Guidelines for submitting a final thesis for content similarity detecting are available only in Slovene language on the Slovene website.
The following student’s achievements during the study period may be included in the Diploma Supplement:
- official study exchanges and work placements (ERASMUS, CEEPUS …),
- University Prešeren award,
- Faculty Prešeren award,
- participation in the University of Ljubljana´s bodies (president of the Študentski svet UL, vice-president of the Študentski svet UL, member of the Študentski svet UL, secretary of the Študentski svet UL, student senator, position in the committees and working groups of the Senate UL and Študentski svet UL, student representative in the Administrative Board UL),
- participation in the University member´s (faculty) bodies (president of the Študentski svet, vice-president of the Študentski svet, secretary of the Študentski svet, member of the Študentski svet, student senator, position in the committees and working groups, member of the Administrative Board/Student Associate Dean),
- student tutor, coordinator for tutors-students, demonstrator.
Students decide voluntarily if they wish to add their achievements to the Diploma Supplement, however they have to provideall relevant supporting documents/certificates. The application for adding other student achievements during the study period to the Diploma Supplement with attached supporting documents/certificates should be sent to the Administrative office for Master's programmes (Second-Cycle). Students enrolled in the second-cycle study programmes have to submit the form when applying for the defence of their Master thesis. Applications and supporting documents/certificates that will be sent later will not be considered.
If a student has lost the student ID card or it has been stolen, he/she must apply for a new card from the Administrative Office for Master's Programmes (Second-Cycle).
To obtain a duplicate or a new student ID card students have to submit the application for issuing a new student ID card at Administrative Office for Master's Programmes (Second-Cycle).
A new student ID card is payable in accordance with the price list of the faculty.
Students can withdraw from the Faculty of Arts in person at Administrative Office for Master's Programmes (Second-Cycle) during office hours or they can send documentation by email. For withdrawal, student must complete and sign an application for withdrawal and submit it at the Administrative Office for Master's Programmes (Second-Cycle), either in person (with a student ID) or by mail.
The Student Health Centre of the University of Ljubljana performs preventive systematic examinations, compulsory vaccinations health-educational activities and offers comprehensive health care for the needs of the student population as an authorized medical institution.
At the same time, students can also choose a personal doctor, dentist and gynaecologist at a systematic medical examination.
Students will be informed of the dates of the systematic medical examination through websites and via e-mail.